Gold in tailings

This category is for the younger gold miners out there to share information.

Moderator: admin

Gold in tailings

Postby hopes4gold » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 am

Well I'm not that young but am 32 LOL, I noticed the forum was kinda slow here so I wanted to write about the tailings on the Turner property, it seems just as a rough guess for every 10 gallons of rock I move through my highbanker I find a small picker and of coarse fine gold and flower. I try to run one layer at a time to see just where is this picker coming from but, with 3 kids helping ages 4, 7, and 9 LOl I get dirt from all over, but you can't beat the free labor LOL just kiddin. I feel like its getting trapped and hung up all lonely in the cobble just below the surface but still havent been able to prove it. So anyone with similar results lets hear them, thanks.
I believe everything is possible, until I prove to my self that it isn't! <Alan Scarborough>
hopes4gold

Re: Gold in tailings

Postby ANDREWWHELCHEL » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

My experience at Turner has been that there are several layers containing gold. The black stuff that looks like coffee grounds usually contains fine gold, the blue and yellow clay that is not clean (has rocks and black coffee ground looking stuff) usually contains fine gold on up to pickers. I haven't found any nuggets yet. The pure looking clay, I have not had much luck in. With the clay, be sure to liquify it as best you can, even better if you can liquify it and run it through your sluice twice. It's a good idea to put a tub at the end of your sluice and let it catch the heavies and re-run them when you are working clay. Some of the material over there has been turned over several times, so it may be jumbled in some piles. Good Luck!!
ANDREWWHELCHEL

Postby hopes4gold » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

Yes I noticed a bit of clay as I dig, I think next time I will keep a separate bucket to put the clay in to process separately to see if that may be where this mysterious picker is coming from.
I believe everything is possible, until I prove to my self that it isn't! <Alan Scarborough>
hopes4gold

Postby dyoungdahl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am

I consider Young to also mean novice… the Prospector part is dead accurate though (as opposed to Miner, think searching vs. finding :D ).

Young or old, this thread inspired me to do my own test, so I found a random pile where someone else had already cleared away the side and I dug a channel from the top down to get a good view of the layers (when all was said and done, about 4 or 5 feet deep as measured from the top of the pile straight down).

Here’s what I found;
Up on top the first foot or so was just leaves, compost, and loose rock on top of black soil. Then I hit about two feet of red soil which had more of a sandy texture than the typical GA red clay soil. This was followed by a thin layer of pure gray clay that transitioned into a looser sandy rocky quartz layer, this is where the coffee ground looking stuff started to show up.
pileside.jpg
Layers of a tailings pile
pileside.jpg (181.14 KiB) Viewed 8791 times

The rocky layer was about a foot thick and was on top of the yellowish clay layer. The transition from the rocky layer to the yellowish layer has thin pockets of the coffee grounds stuff and then the yellow layer seemed to get to get cleaner and firmer (more clay). At that point I needed to classify into a bucket before I could sluice it and didn’t dig too much deeper.
paylayer.jpg
Sandy quartz layer with coffee grounds
paylayer.jpg (229.74 KiB) Viewed 8791 times

In my cleanup I found a decent picker, a few small pieces, and a fair amount of really fine stuff. Interestingly allot of the gold is covered in Mercury (I think), I did not expect to see this in the tailing piles but rather this makes me think I was working near an old “cleanout spot”???
flashpan.jpg
Flash in the pan
flashpan.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 8791 times

I did not pan the layers separate from one another but I believe the pay layer starts at the sandy rocky quartz stuff and runs into the top of the firmer yellow clay.

Thoughts, opinions, or comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Prospecting' Dave
dyoungdahl

Postby admin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 pm

In undisturbed ground (hard to find at Turner) the best gold I have found is often in the layer above the clay. Look for a layer that has rocks and clay, but mixed with what feels like sand if you run it through your fingers. Also always dig the top 3-4 inches of the rotten bedrock layer at the bottom as at one time it was rock and had cracks and we all know what gold does when it finds a crack to lay in. As long as the clay has some rocks and feels gritty run it, but run it slowly and wash every rock completely. Once the clay has no rocks and feels slippery instead of gritty you can stop, but it does not hurt to see if you can reach more rocky layer below the clay layer since it might have been deposited on top of older layers. I use a spud bar to punch through the clay and feel what if anything is under it, you can usually tell bedrock from a rocky layer. Let's just say that if you do find a rocky layer below the clay, enjoy the results of your hard work :D

Woody
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:11 pm

One other thing is that the mercury is often in the tailing layers near the top. Gold in lower undisturbed layers is usually clean, but if you mix the material and pan it all together the mercury will "find" and attach to most of your gold. Not a big deal if you have the ability to remove the mercury but it sure makes pretty gold not so pretty :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Postby hopes4gold » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:05 pm

great info thanks, yes I have found quite a bit of mercury covered gold specs, "thanks to knowing what it looks like and my microscope", are those pics from our property?
hopes4gold

Postby dyoungdahl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes, the pics are from Turner in the tailings not far from the main gate.

I agree with Woody, mercury ruins the look of my look, however sparse it may be. This morning I was reading on how to get rid of mercury and learned that the miners actually put mercury in the riffles on thier wooden sluices, so I guess it's easy to understand why we are finding it in the piles.

Anyway, I'm not sure what a spud bar is but I get the general idea and figure an old peice of rebar is about to find it's way into my truck.
dyoungdahl

Postby hopes4gold » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I have reached a layer of yellow clay/sand, reminds me of moon sand, it clays up under presure but will bust apart, I have not seen the coffee grounds yet but gonna work towards more this week, Question is, if i dont find much here " i found gold getting to this point" do i proceed to bedrock ?" I dont think its too much further"? I am on dry land in tailings
hopes4gold

Postby admin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If you are that close always go to bedrock otherwise you will never know what you might have missed. Should not take long to see if there is any more rock under the layer you are on now.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Young Prospectors